Monday, July 04, 2011

Pulp, Wireless Festival @ Hyde Park

Seeing as though I was 9 years old back when Do You Remember The First Time? came out, well, I don't. Not really. His 'n' Hers rather passed me by, but just a year later I had, apparently, acquired something of a taste for intelligent indie pop, and bought (was bought?) both The Boo Radleys' Wake Up! and Pulp's Different Class. Who could have guessed that I'd go on to be a Divine Comedy/Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright fan, eh..?

Fast forward sixteen years and I properly discovered Do You Remember The First Time? for the first time on a balmy July evening in Hyde Park. (I'll stop doing these weird puns now.) It was Pulp's opening song at the Wireless Festival, and I don't think I've ever seen such a happy, excited crowd as the moment when the chorus kicked in, and streamers exploded out into the audience.

It was pretty beautiful. The whole set was pretty beautiful, in fact, and - while I'm sure the aficionados pledge their allegiances to guitarist/violinist Russell or keyboard player Candida - to me I'm afraid most of that was down to Jarvis Cocker. Jarv is one hell of a front man; funny, generous, great singer and a freaky mover, he climbs over every inch of the stage and you can't take your eyes off him. You pay for a musician and you get a raconteur and dancer too. Not bad going.

And yes, the songs aren't half bad too. ....First Time really was a highlight, but the singalong quality of many of their tracks means they're a perfect festival band. Sorted For E's and Wizz is, of course made for festivals (and I'd forgotten how much I adored it when it came out), and This Is Hardcore and F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E are just stunning live.

Plus, I can't help but have a little soft spot for Common People - when I was feeling a little homesick during my first week at uni, it was shouting "watching roaches climb the wall" with the rest of Indie Soc that persuaded me everything was going to be ok. I'll probably always remember that - and I'll probably always remember singing it with my friends and a few thousand others this weekend too.

2 comments:

Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...

Glad you enjoyed The Pulps, Anna. I think I probably have more time for them now than I did during their Britpop hey-day, to be honest. Good singles, good frontman, and yeah, Sorted For Es and Whizz is a great song. Your Indie-Soc story is practically a Pulp song itself.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Agree about the Indie-Soc tale! I vividly recall me and my friend fair screaming the lyrics from that second verse (not in the original radio edit release) at the local dive in Wolves (the Silver Web). Happy HAPPY memories. I blew my chance to get tickets for Hyde Park and to say I regret it would be an understatement... But I have very good memories of stroking Jarvis' feet at a fans-only gig at Highbury Garage and that has to be worth something... right?! :)