Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's the most powerful moment in film?

It's not often I plug something from work here on my blog, but thought you might be interested in a poll we're currently running on FILMCLUB, to find out what people think is the most powerful moment in film. We're not talking 'shocking' necessarily, but the moments that get you 'right there' - whether it's cathartic, weepy, joyful or anger-inducing.

For me, there are a couple that spring immediately to mind - that moment when the toys hold hands in Toy Story 3 is on the FILMCLUB shortlist (they're just suggestions, you can vote for anything) and features highly for me, and I remember balling my eyes out at the point when Alice (in Wonderland) sits down to cry because a dog has brushed away the path meaning she can't find her way home. Not a classic, I realise, but I think the fear of being lost taps into something quite primal.

The list also includes the Odessa Steps massacre from Battleship Potemkin (which I watched for the first time recently and was completely disturbed by), E.T. finally going home, Jimmy Stewart taking a stand in Mr Smith Goes To Washington and *sniff* the death of Bambi's mother; but it'd be great to know what you think. We're collecting votes from anywhere and everywhere, so feel free to leave a comment here, or email me on anna [at] filmclub [dot] org. Thanks!

3 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Two of my favourites are Humphrey Bogart saying to Lauren Bacall in Casablanca "I'm no good at being noble but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world" sends shivers up my spine! It's the nobility of his sacrifice I think, and similarly, Daniel Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans saying to Cora, "You stay alive no matter what occurs! I will find you"" Reduces me to a puddle every time. Great question, Anna!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Humphrey Bogart saying to Lauren Bacall in Casablanca or alternatively even to Ingrid Bergman ;)

Seriously though: oh so many...

"This is from Matilda" at the end of Leon
The singing of Nkosi Sikelel’ i Afrika in Cry Freedom 9which just FLOORS me)
The run through Bedford Falls at the end of It's a Womderful Life' (cheesy but glorious)
Actually, from Casablanca the bit that guts me everytime is the singing of the Marseilles, especially once Yvonne (who had been consorting with the Germans) gets up and joins in: "vive la France!" indeed

Oh dear, am going to have to have a quick lie down now as am feeling quite tearful!

Jane Henry said...

Oops Lisa, Freudian slip!! I don't know what was going on in my head there. Was I thinking about the fact that Humph was married to the divine Lauren, or was I thinking of that other great movie moment when she blows smoke in his face in To Have and Have Not. I did know it was Ingrid really!!! (When I was a student in Liverpool there was a fabulous nightclub called Casablancas which had full size portraits of all the cast dotted about the place,so Ingrid was liberally plastered across the walls!)