Saturday, July 03, 2010

Short blog #2: Doctor Who - The Big Bang

Ah a Doctor Who finale - what a wonderful thing. And what a *different* thing in this case; both from last week's wham-bam-thank-you-mam-throw-in-everything-including-the-Tardis-sink episode, and from anything RTD ever gave us. No "I *sniff* love *sniff* you" through rivers of tears here, not even a monster really (half-baked Dalek doesn't count) - just lots and lots of the timey-wimey stuff that Moffat so utterly loves. (For the differences - good and bad - between how RTD would have handled the plot and Moffat's treatment, see Rob's excellent blog, by the way.)

It was complex and fast-paced and my lord I certainly got a lot more out of it during my second watch. And "It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool" is one of my favourite lines ever, of course. True, I'm an emotion-above-art kinda gal at heart and so missed being shamelessly emotionally manipulated, but this was quality, clever stuff, and in a series that veered wildly from the sublime (The Eleventh Hour) to the fun (Vampires in Venice) to the ridiculous (I've still not got over the 'walk like you can see' debacle) it certainly sits firmly on the sublime end of the scale.

A word on Matt Smith - he's ace. I love him. I love his alienness and the fact that he was the most consistent thing about this series. He can stay.

1 comment:

MediumRob said...

Thank you!