Sunday, July 04, 2010

Meeting Niles Crane

What I forgot to include in my review - but is probably best kept separate in any case - was the fact that we hung around the Stage Door after the show with around forty others. Well, David Hyde Pierce is the co-creator of one of the best comedy characters ever to appear on television so he's worth a twenty minute wait, I reckon.

Joanna Lumley, of course, also got a huge reception, and spent a good quarter of an hour talking, signing and posing for photos. She didn't exactly pose for this one, but it's quite nice...

When David came out, I moved with more purpose towards the throng, and he was kind enough to sign my programme. Whenever I meet people I admire, I'm always anxious to take the opportunity to not just compliment but thank. It makes you sound a bit of an tool, but he responded to my lame line "That was a brilliant performance... and, er, thanks for the years of laughter" with "thank you, I appreciate that" which is good enough for me.


7 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Cool! Well done you!

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Haha thanks - and thanks for the nice words on my redesign.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a huge fan of Joanna and I'm from Germany. I have tickets for the end of July. Could you tell me how long it took for Joanna and the rest to come out and what time it was you saw the play? I have tickets for the evening and the matinee and I would love to meet Joanna after the show.
Your answer is very much appreciated.
Thanks and have a great day
Britta

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Hi Britta, We also saw a matinee, and I think that might be your best chance if you'd like to meet her.

Joanna was the first to come out after about 15 minutes. David was another 15 minutes later, and I'm afraid I didn't wait for Rylance but would think he'd have followed on behind!

Hope that's helpful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

Thank you very much for your reply, that helps me a lot. May I ask how long the play was? Maybe I can try to make it to the stage door on the first day and collect my tickets there. It would be helpful to know when the play was over. I'm so excited as this will surely be my only chance to meet her.
Kind regards and all the best to you!
Britta

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

No worries! It's 1hr 45mins with NO interval. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very very much! You made my day, really!
TC
Britta