Sunday, May 09, 2010

Doctor Who - The Vampires of Venice

"They're not vampires, they're aliens!" "Classic."

"We're not her boys." "Yeah, we are." "Yeah...."

I know I'm a lost cause but that's what I want from Doctor Who. Hapless but not unintelligent boyfriend changing the dynamic, great one-liners, no obvious WTF moments, wonderful interplay between our heroes, good direction and Helen McCrory being brilliant. It wasn't complicated and I've read that it lacked menace but I'm sick of everything being "it's the end of the world!" anyway. Personally, I sat there having a whale of a time for the full 45 minutes, and I can see myself watching it time and again. I know that Stephen Moffat is massively clever, and moments that felt odd during the Weeping Angels story will undoubtedly pay off beautifully later on but hey, I'm impatient.

As for the newbie, I know Marie's not a fan, but I do love the beatnik physicality of Matt Smith's Doctor and the fact that, as has been widely noted, he's a lot less human than Ten. Can't hear a word he says at times, of course... that really needs to be sorted.

Next week - creepy dreamworld. Can't wait.

EDIT: Does the Doctor break the fourth wall in this episode by the way? When he says that asking the baddies to reveal the whole plan will work one time, it feels like he catches the eye of the viewer ...

5 comments:

Dean said...

Hah, you seem to have unknowingly hit on my only real issue with it "the whole 90 minutes" - had it been this long it'd been awesome, as it was it just felt really rushed. Nothing wrong with a fast pace, but the story could have done with some room to breathe I reckon.

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Oops thought I'd corrected that! Will change. Yeah, I do know what you mean actually, but it didn't impede my enjoyment overall.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Lessa breaking of the 4th wall than yet another bit of addressing the fans/audience/

Of which I have NO complaints

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Ha, me neither! I know there were lots of nods to the fans, but that seemed like he was looking at us straight in the eye!

Hannah said...

Matt's mumbling is the only problem I still have with him as the doctor - I love the quirky 'new character' quite a bit, but the number of times I've rewound and cursed at a lack of subtitles is ridiculous.