Sunday, June 01, 2008

Doctor Who - The Silence In The Library

The positives about this episode are self-evident - it looks classy, and there are at least three storylines which we have basically no idea about. The girl, Donna and River Song. All equally intriguing, and all equally unfathomable.

But but but.... did it make you *feel* anything? It was very clever, and I loved the fact that I was left with no clues as to how any of the stories will work out, but it didn't move me to any emotion other than bafflement and interest. And that's just not enough, is it? Nor is it what we expect from Moffatt - yes, he's the master plotsman, and messing with timelines is absolutely his thing, but so is humour and joy and heartbreak. You could say that that is all to come - and believe me, I have no doubt whatsoever that we will get them all in bucketloads next week, and that the stories will tie up in ways that none of us could imagine - but The Empty Child wasn't devoid of those things, so being the first episode of a two-parter is no excuse.

And if I was waiting for my pulse to raise a little, what must have it been like for kids? They might have liked the skeleton zombie, but that didn't come until late on and otherwise I worry that they might have found it (hush now) a little dull.

Now I didn't dislike this episode by any means - it truly is fascinating, and I've been trying to work out who River is as much as anyone (another Time Lord? His daughter? His mum? Himself...?!) but I thought it'd be worthwhile to play Devil's Advocate, and expand on the niggles that I did have about this episode.

So, ladies and gentlemen - discuss.

8 comments:

Marie said...

Hmm - yes, now you say that, I sort of see what you mean. A head not heart episode. Let's regroup at the end of pt 2 and see how we're doing then...

Dean said...

Not reading this, going to watch both parts back to back next week instead.

Paul 'Fuzz' Lowman said...

I was pretty much into this episode. Full of good ideas, executed well. Enjoyed it way more than any other episode this series. Guess I know what you mean about it lacking some heart, but I thought Donna talking to the ghosting girl was pretty emotional. I think kids woulda dug the whole little girl-saves-the-universe angle, even if the other stuff mighta passed them by. I liked it alot, looking forwrd to seeing next week.

Persephone said...

Nope, have to disagree there. I felt plenty of emotion for poor dim little Miss Evangelista, in River Song's powerful feelings for the Doctor (made even clearer by Alex Kingston's performance), and in the Doctor's horror over Donna's apparent death.

But then, I didn't care much for "The Empty Child". (Loved "The Doctor Dances", though.)

AnnaWaits said...

Oh yeah, the ghosting was very emotional, you're right there, forgot about that... dammit! Haha. My opinion stands overall though... ;)

Jane Henry said...

I'm in Persephone's camp - plenty of emotion for me there. And can report that all my offspring completely hooked. I fully expect them to start doing the zombie skeleton walk soon. The younger two still do a very spooky statue...

chatterbox said...

A bit slow in the middle, but I really liked it.

I thought the faces on the statues were creepy as well.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Loved it - and sorry you had to play devil's advocate!