Saturday, April 05, 2008

Doctor Who in a time-warp...

Is it just me, or did Partners In Crime feel very... Christopher Eccleston series-esque? It's clear that RTD had the words "gotta bring back the fun" in his mind when he wrote this episode - soapy, set in the UK, fully comedy. He was rocking it like it was 2005. When we were dragging ourselves through Daleks In Manhattan, the wheelie-bin-burping business of Rose felt a very long way away... a good thing? For some people, definitely. But you all know that I *like* silly, soapy DW. It's what got me hooked in the first place, and it's what we got tonight. This was pure RTD - forget the plot, enjoy the dialogue (and especially the lack of it, during Donna and the Doctor's reunion). That's not to say it was particularly good, of course, I could never argue that, but heartening. Certainly heartening. And who could hate an episode that featured a glimpse of (a very pensive) Rose? Not me, anyway.

P.S. my usual post-DW blogsearch threw up a few gems, especially this. I like that she says "I think I must have a thing for anything that isn't canon" - you and me both. But I do need a bit of help with some of her terminology: "I suddenly ship Doctor/Donna". "I feel all OTPish about them". Ship? OTP? Suddenly I feel very old....

P.P.S. Urban Dictionary says that OTP is "One True Paring. Used in fandoms to espress what charaters you ship. (put together romanticly)" So that helps on both counts. Well I certainly don't ship them... but they are a bit OTP-ish, in a platonic way. (Am I doing it right?)

P.P.P.S. Marie's wonderfully positive review.

P.P.P.P.S. Rob's also positive review!

P.P.P.P.P.S. Lisa's also *also* positive review!, and good day all round.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Not everyone's so happy with the episode, though. John had good words for it over on TVScoop, but commenters are dissenting...

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. I'm so happy Doctor Who's back... when else do you get posts like this??!

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Rosby's review! Spoiler-avoiders beware - there's a biggie in there.

8 comments:

Dean said...

Yeah, 'shipping' is used in fandom to express a fannish appreciation of a certain couple. Often these movements take over the internet. I believe the whole Buffy/Spike relationship came about in latter seasons of Buffy. More generally happens in shows with larger casts though.

A disturbingly large number of fans express thier fandom for these pairings by writing erotic fiction about them - often known as 'slash' and featuring more than it's fair share of gay pairings. Be warned that should you ever google this sort of thing, you will never be the same again!

Dean said...

*believe that's partly how

stu-n said...

You have started down a slippery slope. You should dig your heels in and resist, otherwise you'll be going on about how Ron and Hermione's Love is Pure and True, and going OMG!1!1!

chatterbox said...

Shipping/OTP... haven't got a clue - sorry! But, I do agree that this episode was just right. I'm a bit tired of moody music and lingering looks, so I do hope they stick with the pure fun and give the 'UST' a rest for a while.

Marie said...

Excellent review, and excellent link - I love this off it:

'The only thing that could've made the episode better would be if the Doctor had opened the hat box and put one on. Then they could've had the whole "I just want a mate" conversation with the Doctor in a feathery hat.'

Mine's up, but hardly up to that scratch.

AnnaWaits said...

Dean: you can imagine the amount of slash fic I've had to try and avoid as a Boosh fan ;)

Stu: I have a fangirl side to me, but I can honestly say I've never written OMGZZZ!!!1!11 Ha

Chatterbox: UST? I don't even understand that!! Glad you liked the episode though :)

Marie: Thanks! And yeah, that review is amazing. The hat idea is genius.... x

chatterbox said...

UST apparently means Unresolved Sexual Tension, or so I am informed by a young person of my acquaintance, but it could mean anything.......Unbelievable Story Threads?..... Unconfirmed Saucy Tittle-tattle?....

AnnaWaits said...

Haha, I like yours better :)