Saturday, December 08, 2007

Russell Brand

If you missed Have I Got News For You last night, definitely give the extended version a watch tonight. Jack Dee and Paul Merton seemed to be annoyed he was there, for some reason, but the fact was, he gave the show the shot in the arm (no pun intended) that it sorely needs at the moment.

Also, try and catch a repeat of his interview with Dawn French on BBC Four (Dawn French's More Boys Who Do: Comedy). Strip away the thin veneer of his exaggerated persona, and you find an intelligent, loving, interested and interesting man who just wants us all to get along.... awww.

5 comments:

Matt_c said...

I didn't think it was so much that they were annoyed - it was just a clash of comedy stylings. Brand tends to make himself the focus of the performance, rather than the jokes...
Or something. That was quite a wanky thing to say. He looked ill-at-ease though too. A bit scared.

AnnaWaits said...

Definitely a clash of comedy stylings, you're right. I do reckon they were a bit too ready to have him as the butt of jokes, though, rather than accepting that he actually knows a lot about what goes on in the world.

Dean said...

Interesting - he was alright on HIGNFY (embarassingly better than Brooker, to be honest).

I'm not much of a fan of Brand to be honest, but I admit I only know him in his whimsical weirdo persona. I find Jimmy Carr is sort of simmilar in that he has one stage persona, but if you listen to radio interviews (he tends to slip back into the persona on TV) he comes across as a genuinely nice bloke with a very detailed knowledge of his field.

While we're on the subject, how awesome was that little bit of Fielding vs Amstell on Buzzcocks the other week?

AnnaWaits said...

I totally agree with you on Jimmy Carr, I definitely think there's a a comparison there.

And yeah I saw the Amstell vs. Fielding action. Great stuff! I thought Noel did alright, really - I could easily see him being offered it permanently if one of the captains leave. Phil Jupitus looks perpetually bored these days so maybe it's time for him to move on.

Matt_c said...

"A motorcycle of jealousy..."

I really did laugh out loud.