Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Doctor Who: Voyage Of The Damned

I kept hearing that this was better than The Christmas Invasion (AKA The most entertaining piece of TV I've probably ever seen.) I thought it was unlikely and you know what.... well, it wasn't as good.

Nevertheless, there was loads to enjoy. It was a *stunning* disaster movie - fire, "peril", and a remarkable and surprising amount of death... I thought that the Hosts were a bit rubbish at first, but that scene on the rickety bridge when the motley crew armed themselves and played galactic baseball brought a huge delighted smile to my face. And Kylie. Yes, she may have veered from rather brilliant to rather awful, but who cares, it's Kylie and the Doctor. Kylie and the Doctor. I mean RTD needs a knighthood for the sheer audacity of it. There was the RTD classic rubbish denoument, of course, and to be honest it didn't really feel like an episode of Doctor Who; it was Doctor Who Does Towering Inferno - but then Christmas is the time to do that. This posts sounds a lot more negative than I mean, as I seem to recall a lot of problems with it, but be assured, dear readers, I loved it.

And am very much looking forward to the killer bees...

4 comments:

Dean said...

It was alright wasn't it? And did turn some expected things on it's head: The Doctor didn't manage to save the girl at the end and pull a happy ending out of no-where. And all the nice relatable people died leaving the most reprehensible one to live. So the accusations of RTD-by-numbers I've seen seem a bit unfair.
Also: fat person suicide on Christmas day...err...

AnnaWaits said...

Yeah, the suicide seemed *a bit much* for Christmas Day to be honest... and you're right, I kept waiting for Bad Man to get his just desserts but he never did. That really was pretty surprising.

MediumRob said...

I just thought it was a bit dull and went on way too long. I also had the problem of constantly comparing the Hosts with the marvellous robots in Robots of Death and they fell short every time, even though they weren't that bad in absolute terms.

Clearly I wasn't drunk enough this year.

Marie said...

I thought it was fun but a bit disappointing. Review over here:

http://womanwhotalkedtoomuch.blogspot.com/2008/01/voyage-of-damned.html