Monday, August 27, 2007

Comedy on TV... a little round-up

Saxondale: I watched the first episode of the first series, and was utterly underwhelmed... maybe I was in a bad mood, maybe I was expecting too much (understandable with Steve Coogan at the helm) or maybe it was just a sub-par episode, but I was not impressed. But I was totally up for giving it another go last week, and I'm really glad I did. There was a good number of laugh-out-loud moments, too many good lines to remember and Saxondale's a fabulous creation - an idiot, but likable, more so than Partridge, certainly. Thursday's a good telly night now; Mock The Week, Saxondale, and My Name Is Earl all have a great laugh-per-minute ratio.

The IT Crowd: I tried. Really I did. All the newspaper reviews mention these 'sublime moments' but somehow I keep missing them. There were a few laughs to be had, but that's just not good enough for a flagship Friday night comedy. The performances are pedestrian, and the insanely raucous audience laughter just puts me off. I'll stick with it longer this time, because I did laugh a few times, but I can't say I'm exactly excited about the next episode...

Outnumbered: This looks like it might be alright, but it hasn't had a whole lot of promotion, so I thought I'd flag it up. It's about a family comprising two parents and three children (hence 'Outnumbered') and while I'd normally be sceptical about a mid-week BBC One comedy (and to be honest, I still am, just a little) the fact that it's semi-improvised gives it an interesting twist - especially when you consider the fact that the little kid actors are so very young (one if just five years old). Give it a go... but don't blame me if it sucks :)

5 comments:

Stu_n said...

Worth noting that Outnumbered is by Guy Jenkin and Andy Hamilton, and it's the first time they've worked together since the genius that was Drop the Dead Donkey.

Dean said...

Well I just watched the IT Crowd and it did actually make me laugh out loud in a few places (when she first sees Moss working behind the bar, and the bit where he's in the wheelchair being moved up into the van that goes on just a bit too long). Not going to set the world on light but it's good fun and it really is a sit-com in the most traditional of moulds.
The audience laughter was very annoying though.

Never been a fan of Coogan so will give Saxondale a miss, they gave it quite the slagging on Serious About Comedy though.

(BTW Anna there's a comment on your Frankie Boyle review on Fringe Blogs... not sure how the notifications work so don't know if you'll have seen)

AnnaWaits said...

Good point Stu! Forgot about that.

And Dean, yeah I saw that comment. Literally about 75% of the show has been on TV and that's just not good enough... his comeback to the heckler that he obviously watches too much TV is rather lame... I really did love seeing him live, he's just brilliant at those one-liners; it's just a shame I'd heard a lot of it before!

DanProject76 said...

I was at the recording of The IT Crowd series 1 and was very underwhelmed. But then I had been spoilt with Father Ted and Black Books. I think it's the annoying performances that annoyed me most but I stuck with it...

I didn't mind last week's episode as the annoying acting had been toned down... and the trailer for this Friday's one made me laugh. Hurrah!

Interval Drinks said...

Agree about the IT Crowd. Watched a fair bit of the first series but it never raised more than the odd chuckle. Even Chris Morris failed to amuse overly, which I never thought I'd say. Agree that Black Books raised the bar incredibly high, but by using almost an identical format - two socially inept blokes and one only marginally more normal woman - the writers make it inevitable that you compare the two shows. Didn't catch the new episode though.