Wednesday, August 01, 2007

British Absurdism

I was reading Michael Billington's review of Absurida - a trio of 'absurd' plays at the Donmar - and this phrase stood out:

These plays, however, are absurd in a defiantly British sense, whimsically inventive pieces about the application of logic to illogical situations.

And I thought, that's exactly the shared quality that means Mitchell and Webb are the true succuessors to Monty Python, the quality I've been trying to express to people for ages. This is *precisely* where both derive a lot of their humour from - reacting to an utterly bizarre situation "as you or I might an endlessly running tap". Thanks Billers - I'll use the phrase 'British Absurdism' from now on, and sound clever, if a little pretentious.

3 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

clever, if a little pretentious

Nowt wrong with a little bit of pretentiousness now and again!

AnnaWaits said...

Haha totally. I've still got Divine Comedy's Cambridge Folk Festival gig taped off BBC4 (you see me in the audience a few times!) and it always makes me laugh when he says:
'Are you having fun? Pretentious fun, though. But that's alright; I like... pretending.'

Dean said...

Ooh I didn't know you were in the crowd on that... still have it on DVD somewhere.