Saturday, June 16, 2007

Doctor Who - Utopia

Jack! Watch! Cardiff! Jacobi! Rose! Master! Simm!
TOO MUCH GOING ON - CAN'T FORMULATE OPINION!
Who overload... that was *ridiculous*. Loved having Jack back, loved his big talk with the Doctor, loved John Simm. *Ridiculous*. That's about as much as I can say.

There we were thinking this was one of those rubbish story/great dialogue episodes that only RTD does and then those last few minutes. You can't say whether that was good or bad, it was 45 minutes of set-up. But when what you're setting up is the most intriguing and potentially awesome bit of New-Whoness, who the hell cares?

P.S. My reaction text to Mum read thusly: WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! So, what with me, this blogger, and another one, it's post-Doomsday syndrome all over again. But in a very different way. I also like this from Emily-Anne:
"Dude! Awesomeness! With the John Barrowman (in the opening credits!) and the Derek Jacobi and the John Simm totally rocking the hell out those two minutes at the end there!" Brilliant.

P.P.S. Is there *any way* that the form that the Master now takes could be the next form that the Doctor takes? Pretty please?

7 comments:

becstar* said...

As a new Who-er I am utterly bemused. I *think* I get the watch thingy after that episode set in the school with the scarecrows. Just about understand who Jack is and what Rose did to him. Totally confused about the Master and "You Are Not Alone" monster thingy.

I think I know the most important stuff: Jack looks hot; the bit with him and the Doctor was awesome and Martha is worse every week.

I'm done.

AnnaWaits said...

I think that the Master has cropped up many times in Old-Who, but RTD never assumes old-Who knowledge so it shouldn't be a problem for either of us! :) And you totally need to see the first series with Jack/Christopher Ecclestone Doctor/Rose. The more I watch it the more I love it.

DanProject76 said...

If I was incontinent Utopia would have left wee wee everywhere!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

It's so interesting to see how NewWho fans adjust this amount of ClassicWho continuity, although my sense is that like Anna most of the new fans will be able to ride with it.

For me, I have to say its almost too much to cope with. And the next two episodes look... well, that grin just sends shivers.

Rob said...

The Master was introduced back in the Pertwee days (he was the villain in every story for an entire season), worked with the Daleks a bit and then ran into all sorts of problems when he ran out of regenerations. He popped up for three Tom Baker stories then more or less one story every season for Peter Davison, appeared for two Colin Baker stories, before disappearing until the very last Sylvester McCoy story. He then popped up again as the villain for the Paul McGann TV movie.

In Who terms, he's big.

It was planned that he would be revealed as the Doctor's brother, way back in the Pertwee days, but that never happened. The observant will notice that in this very season, the Doctor remarked that he had a brother once. Hmmm...

Either way, it looks like we'll get back story fill-in over the next few episodes.

Marie said...

"The Master was introduced back in the Pertwee days (he was the villain in every story for an entire season)"

What I would give for the next season being a gigantic Master v Doctor battle of wills, with John Simm continuing as the Master.

"...ran into all sorts of problems when he ran out of regenerations"

Problems which have obviously been solved. Which bodes well for when they need to bring the Doctor back a few more times doesn't it? I wonder what kind of solution they've dreamed up for this one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jack, how I love thee (bugger I hear Torchwood S1 is shite) !
And Jacobi?!
And John Simm???
I was constantly gasping and whooping.
TBH, I am not satisfied with the doctor/Jack talk. NOT ENOUGH.
The doctor was shit to Jack, and I don't care if he's a disturbence in time and space, a firend is a friend, no matter how disturbing. >:(

But Oh, the happiness from the conversation between them and the new, evil, time lord and the cast...
I'm ashamed to say it, but this merits a SQUEE.

*blush*

HPM