Sunday, June 03, 2007

Doctor Who - The Family of Blood

Well, it was a fitting end to such a strong, interesting start last week. The discussion of war wasn't obvious or one-sided, and, as with Father's Day, the emotional heart of the episode rang true. The flash-forward through John Smith's life makes me choke up just thinking about it. DT put in a fine performance once again, simultaneously making Smith stronger and weaker than the Doctor, Jessica Hynes are proved her worth as an endearing straight actress, and Freema benefitted, as always, from Martha being the one in charge.

What will stick with me, though, was the line of the series so far: when the Matron asked if people still would have died if the Doctor hadn't chosen that place *on a whim*. Perfectly observed.

One question though - is it the Doctor-lite episode next week? If so we'll have been without him, pretty much, for three episodes in a row... that probably could have been worked out better. BUT, it's the Stephen Moffat episode, so I'm hardly going to complain too much :)

7 comments:

hexacontium said...

Nice review for a very thought provoking episode. I suppose I'll have to watch the rerun again tonight a there's probably so much in that story athat I missed.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Review and Freema comments over at mine....

So when do you find out your results? And when will your profile be changed (assuming you're not staying a perpetual student like me)!

Anonymous said...

i believe it is the doctor-lite episode next week, and the previews suggested a pre-recorded Doctor (how does he get the cues to shout?). i believe cap'n jack is back to reality out of torchwood just after that. they haven't quite got back to the first series where things just got better and better, but this one is working out very well. even ... errr.... martha.

Marie said...

I'm not sure about these Doctor-lite episodes. Why not just do one episode fewer?

AnnaWaits said...

Haha that thought certainly crossed my mind! but I guess it's also a chance to be even more creative than usual...? I'd imagine that's how they rationalise it anyhow.

Anonymous said...

it seems to be a common length for a series now. why 13? possibly because there are 52 weeks in a year, and 13 is a quarter, and that's a reasonable way to schedule. it could align with Quarter days, except for that pointless waste of space-time called a "song contest".

Anonymous said...

I have to say, at the time (yesterday basically) I saw this, I was rather enraged by this episode. I thought the pay off wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I too gulped at that whim line, and shed a tear at the future that could never be for the doctor BUT I just found the family ultimately STUPID.
Really?
There's a family is four enteties, that show no special powers, were never heard of before and yet there are enough to send the doctor running into hiding?! WHAT??!

In hindsight it was a set up for the master arc, and an opportunity to see the doctor in a new light and the ep was definitely thought-provoking in some respects, but I had to send one of my lobes into a coma to suspend my disbelief.

xxx
HPM