Thursday, May 31, 2007

What *Some Of Us* Are Thinking...

...is that Freema's not that great an actress. I shouldn't say it's what we're all thinking because it's clearly not... but I was prompted to write it because Becstar*, who hasn't seen any of the Billie Piper episodes, texted me this:
"dr who was ace! will the doctor remember? will the green light alien thingies shoot that little boy? will martha learn how to act ? (!) find out next week!"
and I thought, you know what, you're right. I've been critical, (as others have, I'm not exactly going out on a limb here) but always thought it was perhaps because I was comparing Freema with Billie, who may not be the world's best actress, but undeniably has something special about her. But now I'm more confident in my opinion... Martha's not a fabulous character, but Freema's not a fabulous actress either. Thanks Becca :) It's a shame, because it trips me up, just as I'm thinking how great a scene is. I do still think she's good in action scenes, though...

As for Human Nature as a whole, brilliant episode. It felt like a classy piece of drama, or a period film. It was subtly directed (after last week's very obvious direction), had a great story at its heart, and as Marie wrote, seeing the Doctor being distinctly un-Doctor-ish is fantastic, if a little disturbing. Great use of a cricket ball too. Really can't wait for the second part, apparently we'll be needing our hankies...

9 comments:

DanProject76 said...

Hankies? Always! Especially in Paul Cornell-written episodes.

Have you been reading his comic, Wisdom? It's a bit more insane than his Doctor Whos.

becstar* said...

It was the line "Why did you have to fall in love with a human? And it wasn't me..." that actually made me physically wince. Fair enough, that might be bad writing, but the same writers write Tennant's lines and I haven't heard a duff one yet...

Good to see you blogging again annawaits.

xxx

Stu N said...

Rob's not going to be happy with you for calling Graeme 'Godlike genius' Harper's direction "obvious".

Freema's a wee bit wooden, but I think some of the writing for her in the episode didn't quite work. Someone sharp enough to do the 'sardines and jam' trick isn't going to be dumb enough to tell her 1913 mate about going to the stars, when they're supposed to be hiding.

Otherwise, the episode was near-as-dammit flawless, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's. And then a Moffatt episode! Then Derek Jacobi! Then John Simm!

Ahem. I am 38 years old. Honest.

(And Thomas Sangster looks about 12. He can't be 17!)

AnnaWaits said...

I loved the direction on 42! I was just saying that is was very in-your-face. HOT! COLD! STEAM! POD! But I was thankful for it after the the blandness and cheapness of some of the previous episodes.

AnnaWaits said...

Oh and your excitement about *all* those things is entirely justifiable!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Hee hee hee:
Otherwise, the episode was near-as-dammit flawless, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's. And then a Moffatt episode! Then Derek Jacobi! Then John Simm!

Ahem. I am 38 years old. Honest.

(And Thomas Sangster looks about 12. He can't be 17!)


Me even older. Me very excited. Me very disturbed by the fan sites for Thomas Sangster mainly BECAUSE he still looks about 12 years old.

But mostly me VERY excited. Glad to have your thoughts.

AnnaWaits said...

I refuse to believe that he's 17.

Deano said...

Things you never thought you'd say five years ago #352:

"She's a decent actress, but she's no Billie Piper"

AnnaWaits said...

Very true!