Sunday, May 06, 2007

Trying to put The Lazarus Experiment into some sort of context...

Seeing as though I can't work out how good Lazarus Experiment was when comparing it to the last few episodes, I thought it might be helpful to compare it with the New-Who equivalent episodes from the previous two series- ie not two-parters, not openers, and not Love and Monsters. Cos that was just weird. So here goes...

The End of the World: BETTER (as in Lazarus was better, just to set up the system). Cassandra is an inspired character, but the whole spinny engines thing was just horribly cliche...

The Unquiet Dead: WORSE. Much worse in fact, but then most things are...

Dalek: WORSE. Again, a tough act to be compared to, with suspense and heightened emotions throughout...

The Long Game: BETTER. Just. I think. Simon Pegg is obviously brilliant, but I've never properly clicked with this one...

Father's Day: WORSE. Another New-Who classic.

Boom Town: BETTER. I think (again). It's tough, because this episode is barely sci-fi. But I think that's probably a failing, actually.

Tooth and Claw: WORSE. Probably my favourite New-Who episode so far (you can have that one out in the comments if you like!) EDIT: Ok, I've been a bit hasty there. In concentrating on the standalone episodes, I've utterly failed to remember how brilliant The Empty Child, The Parting of the Ways and Doomsday were. All top quality.

School Reunion: WORSE. The stuff with Sarah-Jane was magnificently handled, and the sci-fi was fab too.

The Girl in the Fireplace: WORSE. I don't think this is *quite* the classic it has been heralded as, but still pretty fantastic.

The Idiot's Lantern: BETTER. Well, of course.

Fear Her: BETTER. I thought this was better than most people did, but still, as above really.

So, 5 Betters and 6 Worses. That would suggest middling, but then it was *a lot* better than Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her and The End of the World. So let's go top third. That's alright innit? Yes, this was a pretty dumb way of doing things, I know, but it was kinda fun to think back over all those episodes.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I thought it was better than Idiot's Lantern, Fear Her, and End of the World, and worse than the rest, so that for me makes it middling-to-low, which is what I thought it was. You're right, this is an excellent way to figure out your feelings.

AnnaWaits said...

A little clinical perhaps, but sometimes that's precisely what you need ;)

northernlight said...

Great system. I still hark back to the glory days of the late 1970s when I was a child and hiding behind the sofa while watching it!