Thursday, May 17, 2007

Normblog's Five Fave Beatles songs poll

Too hard. My brain is frazzled by the knowledge that I've basically finished my degree and as such I feel like absolute crap today, so this is gonna be brief. And different by this time next week.

FOR NO-ONE (Revolver): It was on my Desert Island Discs, and while I may not now consider it my favourite Beatles song, it's still definitely top five. So beautiful, so heart-breaking, it's the ultimate Macca ballad.

OH! DARLING (Abbey Road): Macca again, this time for the vocals. Paul Fuzz is adamant that his best vocal performance is on Golden Slumbers, but he's plain wrong. Macca gives it too much. But here it's perfect - the little changes to the melody, the way he builds it up... brilliant. C'mon when he sings/shouts "When you told me you didn't need me anymore!", that's pretty much the best line ever committed to plastic. The perfect marriage of tune and performance, and I *HAVE* to sing along, and do my intense bluesy face as I do so. "Wooooooooh!"

THE BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO (Let It Be): There are two songs I remember playing over and over again when I was younger: I Don't Like Mondays (of all things) and this. I've been reliably informed that it's probably the last proper Lennon/McCartney collaboration, and that makes me love it all the more. I'm not even particularly what it is about this track that I love so much... it's not even the lyrics. But that bass-line is phenomenal.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER (A Hard Day's Night): This is a complete randomer that I happen to love at this precise moment, but then that's as good a way as any to create this list. The harmonica opening puts a massive smile on my face, and that bit where they go 'you say you love me too-oo-oo-oo-oo, oh-oh' gets me every time.

BACK IN THE USSR (White Album): I'll add this to any playlist I make so it'd better come on here. It's probably the best opening track I'm aware of, the Beach Boys/always on my-my-my-mind bit is inspired, and I absolutely love the little guitar lick after the title line.

Shortlist:
THIS BOY (B-side)
GLASS ONION (White)
YOU REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME (With The Beatles)
I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU (Rubber Soul)
HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE (Revolver)
I SAW HERE STANDING THERE (Please Please Me)
ANY TIME AT ALL (A Hard Day's Night)

Lisa's List
Paul Fuzz's List

4 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

God, why does reading other people's list juts make my head explode with "Why didn't I put that on mine!?"

Great choices by the way: several shortlist overlaps and LOTS of tracks I would have happily considered for my shortlist.

Paul Fuzz said...

Aw, 'Glass Onion' just didn't quite make the cut, huh? I was quite tempted too. Ian McDonald (Revolution In The Head) thinks it is 'unlikeable', but he still spends alot of time on it, and its prominant place on the 'Love' LP has done much to bolster Glass Onion's reputation.

Mellie Bean said...

man, now I am going to have to try mine own list (when I've got 2 minutes to spare)!

Matt_c said...

"John and Yoko"'s not on Let It Be - it's on Past Masters Vol 2. and was a single... Not that you're wrong in your summation; it has a great bass line.

I didn't say congrats on finishing either. Congrats.

I've sent Norm mine but have't blogged it yet.

[Totally agree with the "WHEN YOU TOLD ME... (bom bim bim bom bom) YOU DIDN'T NEEEED MEEEE..." First class.]