Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Lazarus Experiment

I'm not deluding myself, am I? That *was* good, wasn't it? The last two have completely messed up my critical faculties. Have they persuaded me that this was better than it actually was, or worse?

There were plenty of good elements that's for sure. First, three cheers for Mark Gatiss: fabulous as ever, he was charmingly evil. Always a terrifying combination. And the Lazarus machine looked pretty damn impressive, I reckon, too. Plus I've gotta say I'm glad we've got to meet Martha's family properly, though her brother and sister aren't exactly the most fully formed, three-dimensional, characters we've ever seen on screen, and it worries me that I don't remember their names... Tish, that was the girl, right? No idea who Reggie Yates is playing though. But it seems that it's the mother who's most important here anyway, and I think we're in capable hands there. As Marie says, a mysterious Mysterious Man is always fun too... the Doctor was actually engaging for the first time this season and while I still am yet to be convinced about Freema, she's great in action sequences (which is why she came across well in Smith and Jones) and she's earned her companionship status. She still can't hold a decent, ordinary conversation very well though... Finally, Tennant playing the church organ to destroy Lazarus. Just beautiful. Silly as hell, of course, but beautiful.

And that clips package! My god, they pulled out all the stops there, didn't they? They say it was to compensate for the lack of Who next week, but we all know it was really to stop us all jumping ship. Captain Jack! Derek Jacobi! John Simm! I think this episode did the same job, to be fair, but still it was nice to get all excited. Just imagine it - the Tennant/Simm showdown. Of course, it would have been nice to have had the option of Simm as the next Doctor, but we'll settle for his ultimate nemesis for now.

My serious nomination for the next Doctor? Robert Carlyle. I just don't think he'd do it somehow... but he'd be fantastic.

8 comments:

northernlight said...

I missed the Daleks in New York, thankfully. It sounded rubbish. But last night's episode was Dr Who at its best - pretty good special effects, a classic panicking crowd scene and a nasty monster.
Hurrah for Mavis from Coronation Street as well..

AnnaWaits said...

I *love* a panicking crowd scene!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Hee. It was good. And Argonaut-esque monster aside, there was lost to be clapping this week. And the trailer was just the icing on the cake of a spiffy ep.

Paul Fuzz said...

Are you kidding me? Last night's Who jumped a whole barrel of sharks...
...nah. I didn't see it. But I'm gonna catch it tonight. Sounds like a good one - which is nice to be able to say.

Stu N said...

Two small, skinny and Scottish Doctors in a row? You think?

AnnaWaits said...

They are, indeed, skinny and Scottish, but different in a lot of ways I reckon. Carlyle can be scarily dark when he wants... I dunno, I just haven't heard a *really good* suggestion yet.

Stu N said...

Speaking of other actors who probably wouldn't do it but are the right sort for the new series, how about Paul Bettany?

AnnaWaits said...

Now I like that idea :)