Sunday, April 22, 2007

Daleks in Manhatten

You know what's missing from this series, Smith and Jones aside? Atmosphere. The Empty Child had constant menace, and you felt like you were smack bang in the middle of the Blitz. Tooth and Claw was a Gothic novel come to life. The Shakespeare Code, on the other hand, for the most part felt like it was acted out on an over-dressed stage set (and you can't tell me that was intentional), and Gridlock jumped from a solitary car interior to CG-scapes meaing you never got a sense of place.

Then last night... well the inside of the Empire State looked as convincingly luxurious as a 1930's episode of Crossroads. Where's the class? Come to mention it, where's the humour, where's the heart? Martha currently has no impact on the stories either emotionally or practically and the Doctor got lost from view somewhere along the way last night.

Come on guys, cheer me up, what am I missing?

3 comments:

Marie said...

You're missing nothing. If anything I liked it even less than you did. Boo hiss [throws popcorn]

AnnaWaits said...

Yeah I'm starting to get the impression that I'm really not alone.


Doctor Who has jumped the shark! (Joke)

northernlight said...

The Shakespeare episode would not have been so bad, had Shakespeare not been played by the guy from Shameless.
This was rather distracting, I thought