Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brit Award Nominations - from NME.com

My winners in bold!

British Male Solo Artist
James Morrison
Jarvis Cocker (or Lisa'll never forgive me!)
Lemar
Paolo Nutini
Thom Yorke

British Female Solo Artist
Amy Winehouse
Corinne Bailey Rae
Jamelia
Lily Allen
Nerina Pallot

British Group
Arctic Monkeys
Kasabian (check out their country Live Lounge version of Shoot The Runner)
Muse
Razorlight
Snow Patrol

Mastercard British Album - Don't have any of them... can't comment....
Amy Winehouse - 'Back To Black
'Arctic Monkeys - 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'
Lily Allen - 'Alright, Still'
Muse - 'Black Holes And Revelations'
Snow Patrol - 'Eyes Open'

British Single Shortlist
Corinne Bailey Rae - 'Put Your Records On'
The Feeling - 'Fill My Little World'
James Morrison - 'You Give Me Something'
The Kooks - 'She Moves In Her Own Way' (but should be 'Ooh-La')
Leona Lewis - 'A Moment Like This'
Lily Allen - 'Smile'
Razorlight - 'America'
Sandi Thom - 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker'
Snow Patrol - 'Chasing Cars'
Take That - 'Patience'
Will Young - 'All Time Love'

British Breakthrough Act
Corinne Bailey Rae
The Fratellis
James Morrison
The Kooks
Lily Allen

British Live Act
George Michael
Guillemots (the only one I've seen live)
Kasabian (but I bet these are really good!)
Muse
Robbie Williams

International Male Solo Artist
Beck
Bob Dylan (for my dad)
Damien Rice
Jack Johnson
Justin Timberlake

International Female Solo Artist
Beyonce
Cat Power (by default?)
Christina Aguilera
Nelly Furtado
Pink

International Group
The Flaming Lips
Gnarls Barkley
The Killers
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Scissor Sisters

International Album
Dylan - 'Modern Times' (Dad says it's his best for ages and that's good enough)
Gnarls Barkley - 'St Elsewhere'
Justin Timberlake - 'FutureSex/LoveSounds'
The Killers - 'Sam's Town'
Scissor Sisters - 'Ta-Dah'

International Breakthrough Act
Gnarls Barkley
Orson
The Raconteurs
Ray Lamontagne (his voice annoys me)
Wolfmother

Outstanding Contribution To Music
Oasis (for Whatever, Masterplan and Importance of Being Idle)

7 comments:

Mike said...

I put down Dylan for everything he is nominated. Your dad is right, his new CD is one of his best, its absolutely amazing...

I just want to see an awards ceremony where the Artic Monkey's don't win anything....

I would give the british album and live act awards to Muse. I've saw them twice in '06, and they blew my mind. I think part of being a good live act is also what's on the stage, and their set was insane. They had a video screen the whole height and width of the stage, and two huge cranes which lit up, and this wierd curved video screen which moved up and down, and wihch contained the drummer. It was madddddd.

AnnaWaits said...

Hey! I think Monkeys will win best album, no question...

I watched the live broadcast of Muse's set at T In The Park (or V Fest.. I forget) and it was absolutely stunning. I wouldn't buy an album, but I would see them live, definitely.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

You are indeedly justly forgiven, but looking at this list you couldn't possibly think any of the other nominees deserve the award, surely? Yorke at a push maybe, but the others... zzzzzzzzzz

AnnaWaits said...

Well Lemar at least makes the effort to produce high quality singles. Or one high quality single per album...!

Paul Fuzz said...

What I dig about you, Anna, is that You're Not A Snob. Nothing worse than an indie dullard. Brits are not and never have been a credible award (...back slapping industry shindig blah blah blah...two hour advert for bland pop aimed at people who don't know anything about REAL music blah blah blah...) but they usually provide some fun, some good performances, some cringe worthy moments. And...DEBATE!!!

.1. I really think Muse are awful. I'm sorry, Mike. How have they got away with boasting about spending obscene amounts of money on lazers and cranes and things? Didn't punk destroy stadium self-indulgence like this? I like good prog rock as much as the next man, but Muse are hardly Aphrodite's Child, are they?

.2. Bob Dylan: the man in 2006 who really brought sexy back.

.3. The Kooks: Yeah, shoulda been Ooh La. These cats can write a tune. I dig the fact that I really like 'em, but don't care about them at all. That's good pop.

.4. Lisa...I'm sorry...I think Jarvis is a terribly wrong-headed sorta chap, and I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I just can't get on board with Cocker. I mean...he's spent 10 years bitching about his descent into the heart of Btitpop darkness, and then released a song this year ('Don't let him waste yout time' or whatever it was called) that sounds like Catatonia. Or Space...I dunno.

.5. Kasabian. Hipsters have got these cats all wrong. If Alison Goldfrapp hadda released 'Shoot The Runner' or 'Empire' this year hipsters woulda been falling over their Converse to hail 'em as a classic slices of glam-electro modernism.

.6. Anna! The Raconteurs!?! You gotta be kiddin'! After all we've said! I've gotta go Wolfmother on this one, who I dig simply for the fact that, not having any ideas of their own, they just copied every idea that Jimmy Page had in 1969, most of which were pretty good. I'm a sucker for retro fetishism when it's done well.

AnnaWaits said...

I've betrayed Meg haven't I?! Haha. But I couldn't put Wolfmother... Woman was great but every other song has been woeful.

Mike said...

Well, everyone is entitled to their views...

I however do agree with you on Jarvis though... I saw him on some show (I think it was Johnathan Ross), and he just looks exactly like he did in Pulp I swear. I mean I never really liked them anyway, and perhaps I was a little young for them? I dunno... he just looks stuck in another decade.

I also do agree with you on the Raconteurs / Wolfmother topic... I saw both of them at various festvials over the summer, and Wolfmother were definately the more fun to watch.. It was middle of the day and absolutely roasting, but they were still having a really good time up there.. and yes, They could just be a Zepplin cover band... that or AC/DC.