Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Runaway Bride

I won't do a big old review because my reaction has been pretty much the same as everyone else. John and Dean have both said similar things -
- That Catherine Tate was annoying but got better
- That the sonic screwdriver was overused (again!)
- That it was exciting but there was something fundamentally a bit rubbish about it
To be honest, I thought it got better and better throughout. I was utterly unconvinced for the first few minutes, but by the time we got to the reception (soundtracked by the wonderful Neil Hannon, as Dean pointed out) I was hooked. The balance was right - Russell T has said in interviews, you don't want to see the Doctor balling his eyes out on Christmas day... that can wait til the new series. Which looked good, by the way. Scary pig men? Brilliant.

Vicar of Dibley was really good, I thought. Showed The IT Crowd what traditional comedy should be like. Funny for a start. I've always had a soft spot for the show, I 'spose, but I laughed out loud on several occasions, which is more than I can say for Little Britain Abroad...

Remember that Big Fat Quiz of the Year (with Noel Fielding!!) and Ruby on the Smoke are on tomorrow evening, so set your videos for one or the other now :D Hope you all had a great day yesterday!

2 comments:

Dean said...

You linked me wrong Anna :P

The overuse of the screwdriver was interesting... I mentioned it briefly but I didn't think it was such a big deal as some reviews are making out. Yes, they used it a lot (too much), but it never felt like Deus-Ex-Screwdriver - every instance it which it was used actually made sense: for manipulating electrical and mechanical mechanisms - there was no "Oh, the arachnoid creatures are susceptible to sound, so I can use my screwdriver as a rudimentary star-trek phaser"... they are guilty of engineering far too many circumstances when it could be used as a way out, but at least they worked within thier own rules...

I thought Sarah Parish was guilty of awful patomime over-acting too - infact when when I first read John's review I thought he was taking the piss... then again in an episode with a pantomime shouty-sidekick, how else can you play it...

Oh and after the reaction to bringing back the Daleks again last year, before killing them off last year (again) I'm wondering if the Dalek in the series 3 trailer is some sort of double bluff...

AnnaWaits said...

I liked Sarah Parish! Yeah she was over the top but as you say she was playing an arachnid from outer space so you can hardly go for realism.

And I'll sort out the link :)