Tuesday, September 12, 2006

September 12th

If anything, I remember more about how I felt on September 12th 2001, than the day before. The day before I was just numb like everyone else, I guess. Over at Lisa's, she's told us where she was, and while I've commented, I just felt I wanted to post it over here, too - more for me than for anyone else.

I was at school when it actually happened, and I heard nothing. As I walked home, there was this household on the way that was always watching Friends as I passed, but this day they were clearly watching the news - there was the anchorman on the screen at the time. I remember it striking me as odd that they weren't watching Friends.

Then I wandered into the house and there were Paul and Becca on the sofa, eyes glued to the TV. I think they just pointed as the film of the towers falling was re-shown. 'They've bombed the f*cking Pentagon too' said Paul. Like everyone else, I just watched the rest of the night, the rest of the week. I was probably meant to go to ballet but I don't think I did. I remember thinking 'I wonder if this is big enough for the date to be remembered'.

The next morning was one of the strangest of my life. I remember meeting my friend in the playground and not knowing how to start the conversation. There was nothing else to talk about, but you could hardly start 'did you hear about...' Of course they heard. Then there was all the rumours of World War III and the like. My first lesson was History but noone could concentrate. We just sat there, completely spaced out.

Then things started to get back to normal, I guess, but in a pretty new world.

3 comments:

SimonHolyHoses said...

You know what? If I'm really honest with myself I found it really exciting.

That's awful isn't it? It really was horrific, but I just found myself thinking "this is going to change the way the world works" and I was excited to see just how much things could change and how shocking it could all get (the events themselves I mean). I couldn't stop watching as it unfolded.

But yes, it was also numbing. I feel sad for all the people who lost someone. They are the ones who really suffered.

MIKEY said...

I remember what happened on the 11th...


I was on the bus, and my brother announced to everyone that a plane had exploded over NYC, and bits were landing everywhere. This was when the first reports were filtering through of course...

It was very very different when we got home and saw the TV though... I was running through the house between the TV and the Internet for the rest of the evening I think, trying to find out what was going on.


A little more scary, was the fact that the very night before, I'd said to my parents

"You know, in the next 20 years, there's going to be a war between the united states and a rogue nation?"

On like the 12th, they sat me down and were like "holy crap michael, if you know anything else, tell us...."

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

After I found out what was going on, whilst I was panicking for everyone I knew in New York (especially when initial news was very chaotic), I pleaded with Neil to come home as soon as he could. He was working in Coventry at the time and it took him some while to get back to Nottingham. We got in my house and switched the TV on.

The first image I saw as I stepped back from switching the TV on was the sight of the towers collapsing.

I just remember falling against the bookcase in horror, my hand over my mouth choking in shock.