Friday, August 18, 2006

The Late Edition

Two episodes of this have come from Edinburgh this week, and it's been great fun, though of course, it did make me insanely jealous :) Two sketch groups who featured called The Cowards and We Are Klang were both absolutely great, as were the Spaghetti Western Orchestra who I've heard nothing but praise for.

I've never actually watched the Late Edition before, but I'll try and stay awake from now on, as I really enjoyed it, though it'll clearly be different when the Fringe is over... I think I'll still like it, though. Obviously, it's just a little inspired by the Daily Show (ok, completely) but Marcus Brigstocke is no Jon Stewart. Who is, I guess. He's funny, and, importantly, informed, but he doesn't have the warmth that Stewart has - I always remember Paul telling me that when it was announced that Stewart was going to present the Academy Awards he said 'we're going to the Oscars'. Which was lovely. Plus he's just too damn left-wing, which limits the scope for comedy.... but to be quite honest I can't think of who I'd rather have presenting it, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Steve Furst (you know, this guy) who's played the guests this week is fantastic, too.

5 comments:

Paul Fuzz said...

Blinkerdly hearing only what I want to, entirely missing wider point of post:

"Oh,man, yeah - Jon Stewart IS the coolest"

Yeah, the Late Edition is very Daily Show, to which you can only say: no bad thing. But you're right, the excessive leftiness of Late Edition does hamper the scope for comedy somewhat. Good satire should be dissapointed with everyone. The funniest stuff on the Daiy Show is often the stuff taking shots at Democrats and liberal attitudes, because - as Stewart frequently point out -taking shots at Bush et al is too easy, and it's always endearing and smart to gently mock your own position. I've never been a fan of that angry, sneery Red Wedge form of British satire - I grew up with Ben Elton somewhere in the background noise of my subconscious, and I've always found that scene a real turn-off. The Late Edition does not fall into this catagory by a long way, but it still grates with me occasionally. I found 'Michael Moore's TV Nation' etc much easier to get on with, & more recently Spurlock, though of course there are obvious problems with their methods too.

Insane blogging action, A.W. You wait all week for a new Anna post, and three arrive at once.

Dean said...

Hmm, interesting. We Are Klang are wonderful but I have no doubt there best stuff couldn't be shown on TV. They've been one of the highlights of my festival...

Now Cowards.
I so wish you'd said you didn't like them, as I thought they basically have this crappy 'look how cool we are as we're so weird' script that doesn't have any proper jokes in. But everyone seems to love them, radio 4 have given them a series... I ended up reviewing them and giving them 2 stars. This prooved to be controversial, to put it mildly, infact it's followed me around the festival to the point where I'm now better off introducing myself as 'The guy that gave Cowards 2 stars'. I won't go on about this here as I have my blog for that but dammit am I missing something? Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

Dean said...

Hmm - I put up a comment about Cowards that hasn't appeared - won't repeat it all as I'm going to go into more detail in my blog, so keep an eye out for that :D

Dean said...

And now it's there, weird. I thought Blogger might be blocking me as it's a bit Christian and was going with the whole eye for an eye thing after all your commenting problems on my blog...

AnnaWaits said...

Cowards were certainly not laugh out loud funny... more interesting, I guess. I think I assumed you'd 'get' it more with an entire show. But you know what, I have more reason to trust your opinion than any other reviewer's :)