Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mercury Music Prize Nominations

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
Editors - The Back Room
Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Hot Chip - The Warning
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot
Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer
Sway - This Is My Demo
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

I'm not even sure I can be bothered. It'll only sound exactly the same as last year.

Folk? Check. (Lou Rhodes)
Jazz? Check. (Zoe Rahman)
Old timers? Check. (Richard Hawley, Scritti Politti)
Urban artist? Check. (Sway)
Mainstream indie? Check. (Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Muse, Thom Yorke)
Left-field indie? Check. (Guillemots, Hot Chip)
Dubious semi-American album? Check. (Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan)

Oh it's all there, isn't it? I like Guillemots, but they haven't got a chance so I'm throwing my support behind Arctic Monkeys. I know I've not been their biggest supporter in the past (ahem) but it's the ridiculous hype I had a problem with, not them and I reckon they've earned it. I don't care about the lyrics - I live in Doncaster, I know what it's like - but when they put their efforts into the tune (I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor, A Certain Romance) instead of trying to be clever-clever (Scummy Man, The View From The Afternoon) they can often come up with something verging on special.

7 comments:

Dean said...

Well I've heard of precisely 4 of those...and heard 0 of the albums (though keep meaning to pick up the Isobel Campbell one).

Yet somehow I'm enjoying plenty of cool music. Weird that.

MIKEY said...

What is the deal with everyone loving Thom Yorke and Radiohead? I just don't get it. Perhaps there's not something I'm hearing, but I don't see them as too great. They all need to cheer up a little I think. They seem more emo than emo.

Like you anna, I think the artic monkeys have been overhyped to the extreme. When NME called them the best british band of the decade, or something like that, I wanted to cry. That being said, I do like some of their songs, but not for the lyrics (I don't really listen to them on the AM songs...)

I give the guillemots a bit of a hard time, but only cause I think they're overhyped again. Perhaps I'll have to subject myself to another listen.

I do like The editors and muse though.


I need a shower.
Its so hot here. And I spend most of the day outside teaching sports.

Paul Fuzz said...

WHERE IS THE KATE BUSH LP?
A glaring omission. I'm glaring as I write this. GLARE!!!!

It probably goes without saying that I haven't heard any of these LPs. I like the odd thing I've heard by Richard Hawley, other than that I'm utterly clueless or vaguely unimpressed. Editors have put out a couple of passable Joy Division pastiches. I thought the Hot Chip single about a monkey was a reasonable slice of new new-wavery, achieving a level of un-feeling, post-modern emotionally dis-connected blankness Blondie et al could only dream about about. Muse I don't dig at all. I think Thom Yorke is a fine lyricist but an irritating, wrong-headed human being who shoulda realised by now that ripping off ideas Aphex Twin had 10 years ago ain't no better or valid than an 'orthodox' rock band ripping off ideas Paul McCartney had 40 years ago. I heard a couple of tracks offa the Sway LP, I don't know jack about the current UK hip hop/grime scene but it sounded powerful enough stuff. Guillemots are named after a bird. And the Arctic Monkeys...jeez...I think their time has already past, hasn't it? It's July 2006 now. They're a February 2006 sorta band.

I enjoyed Anthony & The Johnsons winning last year, 'cos it shut the NME the hell up. "Oh, the Mercury Music Awards, they're everything we're not, boy oh boy, every year these corporate suck-balls compile a list of the lame garbage they've read about in Q Magazine plus a couple of half-way decent LPs they have no intention of giving it to, like f'instance the Anthony & The Johnsons LP this year, you think they're gonna give a wonderful little indie LP like that an award? You gotta be kidding us! If you wanna see THAT album get some recognition, you're gonna have to wait for the NME Awards, now THERE'S an award show that celebrates interesting new music...oh."

WHERE IS THE KATE BUSH LP?
GLARE!!!!!

Mouldy said...

I'm with you Anna, my dear! Artic Monkeys all the way. Mainly because its the only one I've heard. Us South Yorkshire types have to stick together (even if I never actually go to South Yorkshire any more).

HOWEVER, where's the gay friendly act? There's normally a gay friendly act and there isn't one this year. That perturbes me a little. Have they not heard the new Pet Shop Boys album.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Bit off about you calling Richard Hawley an old-timer (okay, so he did play with Pulp etc way back when and his music is easy on the ear, even if its deeply dark in the lyrics...).

But otherwise you're about right. Reckon Fuzzboy will have stopped shouting about the kate Bush ommission by the time the awards are announced???!!!

SimonHolyHoses said...

Scritti Politti?

Weren't they around in the 1880's or am I just having sherry flashbacks again?

AnnaWaits said...

Haha yes, it was quite a long time ago!

And Lisa - yeah, I realised at the time it wasn't the best phrase to use, I just meant people who'd been around for a while :)