Tuesday, June 27, 2006

First 25 songs on my... Rio mp3 player....

...which is very good! Ok, so this meme (Lisa, Marie and originally from here) is doing the rounds, and while I've failed to get anything, other people seem very good at it, so I thought I'd give you all a chance to show off once again ;) A lot of them are stupidly easy, but hopefully a few will make you think...?

1) Summer has come and passed, the innocent can never last
Green Day - (Wake Me Up) When September Ends, Mama Waits, via text!

2) If you think that a kiss is all in the lips, come on, you've got it all wrong man
The White Stripes - The Denial Twist

3) I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour...
The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, Stu_N

4) Last night she brought me to the state of mind in an empty room
Supergrass - Kiss Of Life

5) Somethin’ filled up my heart with nothin’
Arcade Fire - Wake Up, Stu_N

6) Take a walk, out the gate you go and never stop
Ben Folds - Jesusland, Mellie

7) Talk to me now I'm older, your friend told you ‘cause I told her
The Strokes - 12.51

8) I was surprised, I was happy for a day, in 1975
Belle and Sebastian - The State I Am In, Matt_c

9) Up on a hill is where we begin this silly story, a long time ago
The Strokes - The Modern Age

10) I fall for this season everytime, when it's hot and everybody smiles
The Divine Comedy - Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count, Mellie

11) I lost a sacred feeling but I made a couple of friends
Razorlight - Up All Night

12) You see her, you can't touch her
Franz Ferdinand - Auf Asche, Matt_c

13) I knew along that I was right at the start
Dirty Pretty Things - Band Bang, You're Dead

14) People will know when they see this show, the kind of a guy I am
Loudon Wainwright III - One Man Guy

15) I wish it was last September, when we could lose ourselves in crowds everyday
Ben Folds Five - Emaline, Mellie

16) Your day breaks, your mind aches
The Beatles - For No One, Mellie

17) Is it worth it; a new winter coat and shoes for the wife..?
Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding, Stu_N

18) Hello, I've waited here for you...
Foo Fighters - Everlong, Bluto

19) I thought I'd write, I thought I'd let you know...
Ben Folds - Gone, Mellie

20) Cos - breaking up is so very hard to do
Walker Bros. - Make It Easy On Yourself, SimonHolyHoses - though the version I had was actually the very live Divine Comedy b-side version that Dean mentioned, so he gets points too!

21) First you get down on you knees, fiddle with your Rosaries
Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag, Dean

22) Is there anybody going to listen to my story...?
The Beatles - Girl, Mellie

23) I'm turning the lights down low, ready to make my move
Badly Drawn Boy - Tickets To What You Need

24) Thank you for this bitter knowledge
Rufus Wainwright - Go Or Go Ahead, Matt_c/Lisa

25) Feeling my way on the crest of a wave, it's like magic
ELO - Living Thing, Stu_N

Good luck!

17 comments:

Mellie Bean said...

Well, I know 4 of 'em for definite (you will likely be unsurprised as to which 4):

6) Jesusland - Ben Folds

10) The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count - The Divine Comedy

16) For No One - The Beatles

19) Gone - Ben Folds

Mellie Bean said...

Oh, and

22) is likely "Girl" by the Beatles

Holyhoses Rob said...

Those Beatles ones were the only ones I knew, dammit.

Stu-N said...

3. is Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, by the Smiths. Cheer up, Morrissey! You're a millionaire!
5. is Wake Up, by the Arcade Fire
17. is Shipbuilding, might be Suede, might be Elvis Costello, might be Robert Wyatt.
25. is ELO, isn't it? Living Thing? I blame Russell T Davies.

One of my mates was DJ-ing in a bar last night — first time he'd ever done it — and he played 'Wild West Hero'. Mass singalong outbreak.

AnnaWaits said...

All right so far! I'll cross them all off when I get chance soon... :)

SimonHolyHoses said...

20) Walker Brothers - "make it easy on yourself" - wondrous track. Scott Walker is a blimmin freak and always worth a listen too.

Matt_c said...

Yessss..! At last. I got one.

7) The State I Am In - Belle and Sebastian

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

24 is Rufus lovely Rufus (who started us both off together!) but I can't for the life of me think which track... argh!

Matt_c said...

I mean 8) is The State I Am In
and
24) is Go or Go Ahead with a Rullsenberg assist!

Matt_c said...

On a roll...

12) Auf Asche - Franz Ferdinand.

I like Anna's music collection. It's more like mine.

Dean said...

Dammit, people have already blagged 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 10 and 20 (which has made me want to listen to the Divine Comedy cover of Make It Easy on Yourself, but which is on some obscure b-side likely packed away in a box somewhere, darn...)

21 is Tom Lehrer, Vatican Rag though.

AnnaWaits said...

Very impressive guys! Obvious we have no Strokes fans here though... (there's two of 'em inn the list) :)

And Dean, Make It Easy On Yourself is on the Everybody Knows b-side, I believe, along with The Drinking Song and Something For The Weekend, both also live.

Dean said...

You're quite right Anna, alas those Everybody Knows singles are packed away and the DVD of said Shepherd's Bush gig where they were recorded appears to be missing that track (and Johnny Mathis' Feet and Europe by Train for that matter...)

Soulseek here we come...

Anonymous said...

18 is some Foo Fighters' everlong.

and I can't get the Strokes ones and it's driving me nute.

-bluto

AnnaWaits said...

Well worry no more, cos all the answers are now up :) Well done guys!

Dean said...

hehe, bonus points for guessing you had the DC cover of Make It Easy On Yourself, nice :)

Guessing points don't mean prizes though :(

AnnaWaits said...

Errrr... no :)