Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Movies and films.

Over at Paul's Baftas post, I found a link to Mouldy's place, who has responded to the whole Britain vs. American/'films' vs. 'movies' bebate. Mouldy has written a great post in the defence of 'British films', and I can just feel Paul itching to write a response in defence of 'American movies'. Falling, as I do, into the latter camp (though OBVIOUSLY I'm being horribly oversimplistic in dividing films up this way, but the terms work for the purposes of the argument) I left a comment saying
"Leave pointless "movies" to the Americans"

Oh dear - I'm not sure Paul's gonna like this! Pointless movies? A film can blow you away in many ways - sometimes that's with the message, the acting, the cinematography, but sometimes it's with someone shouting 'that's no moon!' or a T-Rex causing a little cup of water to ripple. We Brits make lots of pointless movies, but make them 'gritty' and 'hardhitting' so as to fool the audience into thinking they have a point. An excellent blockbuster is a wonderful but rare thing, and deserves as much credit as Cathy Come Home, I feel.

Just thought I'd highlight Mouldy's post and get some more responses :)

10 comments:

Mellie Bean said...

Americans are capable of producing interesting thought provoking FILMS - let's look at Capote, Good Night, And Good Luck and Syriana just to name a few I happen to have seen recently.

There are many good British films just as there are many good American films. There are also just as many (if not more) stupid, pointless and banal films made by Brits and by Americans.

Stupidity and pointlessness, alas, defy nationality. Anyone who paints a country of 250 million + people with one brush obviously has no understanding of the complexities of human beings and human society.

Mellie Bean said...

May have gone a bit overboard there, but I repeat my point that stupidity, snobbery and pointlessness have the uncanny ability to defy nationality.

AnnaWaits said...

Go overboard to your heart's content, the idea was to provoke discussion :)

AnnaWaits said...

"stupidity, snobbery and pointlessness have the uncanny ability to defy nationality. "

That is *definitely* true. :)

Mouldy said...

My point was that the British film industry has much fewer resources at its deposal and therefore should concentrate on what they do best. I hope my most recent post has made my opinion clearer.

I should also say that I believe that Americans make the best films in the world without question and would agree with Mellie Bean about how thought provoking and interesting the films she mentions are. I was merely attempting to defend Britain.

AnnaWaits said...

"My point was that the British film industry has much fewer resources at its deposal."

Certainly true - and its something that seriously needs to be rectified!

Mellie Bean said...

I can certainly understand your point about fewer resouces being available.

There's an awful lot of excellent Brit stuff out there considering the slim resources though.

I know there's crap as well - but ...

Paul Fuzz said...

Jeez...what a stirrer Ms Waits is! The point isn't the difference between UK/US, it's the difference between 'films' and MOVIES. The Wild Bunch, Vertigo, Apocolypse Now, Double Indemnity, Stagecoach, Snow White, Bulitt, The Wizard Of Oz, Singing In The Rain, A Night At The Opera, Annie Hall, Faster Pussycat Kill Kill...these are MOVIES. Movies are pieces of celluloid "art" which satisfy intellectually & viscerially, and which embrace their own movie-ness. My gripe was that the Baftas celebrate un-cinematic cinema. The US, France, Italy & India in particular accept film on it's own terms, in a way that we never have, and this is a far bigger problem than any socio-economic reason for our poor track record.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Stirrers make the blog world!

Mouldy said...

So Paul is saying that the British havn't developed a successful, unique style of cinema that is different from any other art form? Is that right?

That I accept but I say does it really matter? All art forms are linked anyway. Do we have to "accept film on it's own terms"?

Keep stirring Anna. A lady after my own heart!