Monday, March 20, 2006

The Clean House - Sheffield Studio: 18/03

I'm afraid I don't have a lot to say about this production - but that in itself says a lot, I suppose. It's a new play by American writer Sarah Ruhl, and I really wonder a) why it has won so many awards and b) why Sam West appears to believe it deserved them. Because the acting was superb, as it should be with a cast as strong as this- Patricia Hodge, Selina Cadell (the nurse sent to help Casanova to you and me) and Eleanor Bron, but everything else about the production was distinctly ordinary. The down-trodden Virginia likes to clean and, hey, would also like to clean up her emotional life; budding comedian Matilde doesn't like to clean and, whaddya know, she thinks jokes should be dirty. Stop me if this is all too deep for you. There were very funny moments, and there were very touching moments, and in between there was.... nothing, really.

2 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Anna... goes to see disappointing theatre so the rest of us doesn't have to!

AnnaWaits said...

Well, it's a mildly irritating job, but someone's gotta do it :)