Sunday, February 26, 2006

I just watched the West Wing for the first time..

"You just watched the West Wing for the first time?"
"Yeah, I just watched the West Wing for the first time."
"How come?"
"How come I just watched it for the first time?"
"Yeah."
"Just never caught it before."
"Why did you never catch it before?"
"Just didn't."
"Did you like it?"
"Yeah I liked it."
"Did you find this stacato, incessant question-and-answer way in which they speak annoying?"
"Yeah I found the way they talk annoying."
"They also often"
"Finish each other's sentences with a question like this? Yeah."

6 comments:

eV said...

Perhaps that why I never watched it...Yeah

HolyhosesRob said...

I often had to have the subtitles on for The West Wing

Dean said...

Leave The West Wing alone, it's aces! The first three seasons were the best though, the conversation style (whilst walking down seeimingly never ending corridors) didn't seem so forced - probably because Aaron Sorkin wrote all the earlier episodes, and it's naturally his style, and he's very good at it.
Season 5, the first Sorkin-less season suffered as the new writers pretty much scraped that style and it felt wrong.
Now they've evidently watched the early seasons more and are apeing that style, but they're not quite as good as Sorkin, so it sometimes seems a little forced.

Still, it's better than 98% of everything else on TV.

AnnaWaits said...

I'm knocking it really, it was great and I'll watch more -it's just the way they talked tickled me.

Mellie Bean said...

The manner of speaking is not far removed from the screwball comedies of the 1930s and 40s, of which I have watched and enjoyed many - therefore the dialogue in The West Wing being somewhat stylized didn't really bother me all that much. ;-)

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Mellie is SO right on with this: that's EXACTLY why I loved the West Wing so much!