Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Ultimate Sitcom

I know, I've watched too many of these Channel 4 Top 100/Top 50/Top 20 things, and I know I have too many opinions about them. But what the hey.

So the Ultimate Sitcom, right? I'll rattle through this as quick as possible.

Frasier at No. 1 = fantastic. I have no quibbles with this. Engaging, warm, weird characters, some of the best farce sequences in TV history, and the right mix of that sparkling wit and jokes you see coming a mile off and laugh anyway. When it's at its best, it's the best.

Spaced was surprisingly and deservedly high at No. 9 - though the focus put on the culture references continues to annoy me no end - what about the fact that it's very very funny and has a heart as big as a house? There's more to Spaced than two girl guides in the broom cupboard.

And don't get me started on Blackadder not being in the top 5. Just plain wrong.

And my final gripe? Friends not being included. A victim of its own consistancy in terms of writing and performances, (don't let anyone tell you it jumped the shark - there was a series 6/7 dip, but only in a Shelly Long to Kirstie Alley transition sort of way) and even more so of its popularity, Friends is already being consigned to the wastebin of sitcom history. How sad.

4 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Despite almost hating myself for enjoying it as much as I do, I agree that Friends SHOULD have been higher. I also thought it pretty cool that Spaced did so well, and though I really enjoy the pomo referentiality of it, I would also agree about it having heart. But Blackadder not making Top 5 was an error of bigger magnitude. Bleurgh.

Deano said...

I didn't see it but I bet Arrested Development wasn't in there at all and Scrubs probably wasn't either.
I could care less about Friends to be honest, it's an amusing enough show but it's not brilliant. But if those two are missing it shows there's clearly something wrong with the world as they're two of the funniest things I've ever seen.

(Arrested Development in particular is currently facing cancellation in the US, the latest episode sees the family facing simmilar financial problems, before they agree that sometimes begging is the only solution, swiftly followed by the narrator saying "Please tell your friends about this show".)

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I have grumbled before about "Arrested Development" receiving the "Seinfeld treatment" (as I believe we in the UK can legitimately call it: not sure how the US describes it). And I didn't read the full list, so Scrubs - another favourite of Anna I believe - should be noted as one that should be in/higher on the list for sure.

Mikey said...

Didn't see this program... When was it on? Good to see you back and posting anna.... Hope you had a good new years