Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Franz Ferdinand musings

Rob Buckley (via Lisa) says they're Divine Comedy without the sense of humour... I do think they they're quite similar, but I'd actually put their arch humour as a similarity!

What it reminded me to blog, however, was that Franz Ferdinand had a jump the shark moment with 'Walk Away'. 'Do You Wanna' was equally dire, of course, but the release of 'Walk Away' showed that it wasn't a blip... Both are forced and awkward, and have too many bits to them. It was like they thought - 'Take Me Out' had two parts, and that did really well - maybe if we make a song with four parts it'll do doubly well! No. And their first album was so good! Very disappointing.

6 comments:

Mellie Bean said...

I actually rather liked "Do You Want To" ...

*ducks*

SimonHolyHoses said...

I read somewhere that they were influenced by The Fire-engines (Edinburgh band from the 80s).

HolyhosesRob said...

I'm so out of date that I've never heard them. Or Divine Comedy. Or The Fire Engines.

I think I win the out-of-touch bingo. My most recent CD purchase was originally released in 1973, so I'm catching up fast.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Shame on you Rob!

Paul Fuzz said...

What is frustrating about The Franz is that they had the rare potential to achieve exactly what an 'art school' band should be aiming for, and blew it. That old idea of 'put out one amazing 7" single and split up' was theirs for the taking. They're never going to write a better song than 'Take Me Out.' We know it. They know it. They could have done something special; they could have been the quintessential auto-destructive, anti-careerism pop-art band. Dross like the last single would be disapointing from anyone, but it is especially so in their case because it so utterly undermines their whole philosophy.

Marie said...

This is why downloading music is so great. 79p for Take Me Out, and then never listen to another FF song as long as I live.