Thursday, December 22, 2005

Top 100 Family Films

1. ET: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
2. Shrek (2001)
3. Mary Poppins (1964)
4. Pirates of the Caribbean (2003)
5. Toy Story (1995)
6. The Lion King (1994)
7. Back to the Future (1985)
8. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
9. Star Wars (1977)
10. The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Let's go in Miss World order...

The Wizard of Oz is scandalously low at 10. Everything about this movie is perfect - from Somewhere Over The Rainbow to day-glo sets to Judy Garland to flying monkeys. And it contains one of the most magical moments in film history - when Dorothy opens the door, and steps from black and white into technicolour Oz. Just brilliant.

Star Wars - what's left to be said, really? Harrison Ford puts in the performance of his career, an entire mythology is created so thoroughly that it is absorbed into real life, R2-D2 and C3P0 are a couple of the best side-kicks ever... You just can't tire of Star Wars.

Willy Wonka has always completely passed me by... the songs are cool, and the whistful portrayal of Willy Wonka is interesting, but I've never seen anything special in this film.

It's absolutely brilliant to see Back to The Future at number 7 - higher than I thought it would be, but still not as high as it should have been. BTTF is witty, clever, a great adventure, and has one of the best musical sequences in any movie ever.

The Lion King. Ok, I'm a huge Disney fan - I know I shouldn't be, but I am - and in my considered opinion The Lion King is, *whisper it*, not that great. It's good, don't get me wrong; the moment Simba realises his father is dead is heart breaking, and Timone and Pumba are great, but apart from that I can take it or leave it. Give me Beauty and The Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, Mulan or The Little Mermaid any day. (The last two in this list have some of *the* best Disney songs ever, by the way).

Toy Story jostles with Wizard of Oz for my number one - it boasts a brilliant Tom Hanks performance for goodness sake! Give the director an Oscar for that alone. There's no need to wax lyrical about Toy Story, everyone knows it's a masterpiece, but at the heart of it there's this friendship which makes it so special. It was robbed.

Pirates of the Carribean at four? How utterly bizarre, and probably not deserved. I may just be annoyed that so many people who used to not like Johnny Depp because they thought he was weird, suddenly do due to this film... I'm not over that yet. Still, it's great fun.

Mary Poppins, on the other hand, thoroughly deserves its place in the top three: true to the book? Probably not. Still practically perfect in every way? Yes indeedy.

And so to number 2. Now, I have nothing against Shrek. In fact I would say it's a good, if not very good film. It's very clever and funny and cynical and all that. I get it. But is it better than Toy Story? Of course it isn't! It's got a big gaping hole where it's heart should be, for one, and don't get me started on Mike Myers' voal performance - it's weak and totally awkward. As for Eddie Murhphy's Donkey, it's a hundred times better than Myers' performance but a hundred times *worse* than his voicing of Mushu in Mulan when he was playing virtually the same character! Weird. Number two? I'd barely push it into the top twenty.

And it's ET at number 1. I wish I had more to say about this, but the fact is, I've never sat through it properly becasue every time I catch part of it I get bored. And that says it all really.

1 comment:

MIKEY IS AWESOME said...

You're like an awesome pot of knowledge anna. I've not even seen all those films. I did have a point to this post....


oh yeah. Pirates of the caribbean. (why can i not think of that word in my head without pronouncing it the american way?) It's a strange film... It has good memories for me though, but thats for another night :P

I think part of being a good film is its longetivity (did i spell that right), and how many people remember it like, 20 years down the road. For that reason, its pretty hard to do a chart I think. One day i aspire to being quoted in your blog.