Friday, December 02, 2005

That nasty NME again

Sorry for being a few days late, and even more for bringing up this most hated of magazines again, but I just had to comment on the fact that they've voted Bloc Party's Silent Alarm album of the year.

HA! Bloc Party's Silent Alarm??!! Now I'm not going to say whether it deserves that title on musical merit or not, I haven't heard it all (though I find the singles incredibly hard to listen to so I don't really have any desire to). No, the point I'm making is that putting Silent Alarm at number one may just have something to do with the fact that NME backed Bloc Party at the beginning of the year as 'this year's Franz Ferdinand'. By February it was obvious they'd backed the wrong horse - if anyone should have that label (and who'd want it after the woeful singles that have come out off You Could Have It So Much Better...?) it should be Kaiser Chiefs for becoming the cross-over success. But NME are always right, aren't they? And now in years ahead, they can say that they tipped Bloc Party and sure enough they came out with the best album of the year. Whatever.

4 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Arcade Fire, Arcade Fire, Arcade Fire...

Sorry, but it blew me away...

Yeah, Yeah... I know RUFUS... and BenFolds... all good stuff. But for me it was breathtaking to hear the pounding beat of an Arcade Fire track.

Anonymous said...

bananna,

I disagree with your assessment. Having seen Kaiser Chiefs and having both groups' discs, I'd go with Bloc Party being better. I already know you don't like them, but I felt the need to rub your face in my assessment.
Happy December
--bib

Deano said...

Interesting:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1656637,00.html

Paul Fuzz said...

The NME's choice of 'Silent Alarm' as their 'Album Of The Year' has to rank as the paper's most misjudged decision since choosing the band as 2005's NEXT BIG THING. Regardless of whether you dig the band or not, you gotta accept the fact that this LP has not had the impact on people's lives etc that the Kaiser/Arcade Fire debuts have had. 'Silent Alarm' is an utterly bizarre choice for album of the year, and I fear that your suggestion that it was a choice based on their earlier Bloc Party mistake is absolutely right. What's particularly odd is that when the NME isn't calling them the best band of 2005, they're generally pretty critical of Kele's whole Indie Scrooge sourpuss persona. While I'm here I'd like to suggest The Boogaloo Investigator's 'Dynamighty!' as LP of the year. Keep on trucking, blog dudes.