Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Harry Potty-mouth

**SPOILERS - but you know what happens anyway, don't you?!**

Honestly! You go to see HP4 for a bit of good clean fun, and what do you get? About six 'bloody's and Ron telling Harry to 'piss off'. It really isn't what one expects.

But besides that, I enjoyed it - though I was definitely a minority among my Potter-loving friends. I'm told they left a lot out, which isn't surprising really, seeing as though it's a stupidly long book, and apparently Hermione's transformation wasn't nearly dramatic enough. But, having never read the books, none of that bothered me. All I saw was a thoroughly entertaining, genuinely scary children's film - and believe me, my expectations weren't high after seeing the first movie and being so bored it put me off seeing the following two. And it takes a lot to unimpress me.
I don't think I'm saying anything novel in proclaiming Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley, the star, but he really is; great comic timing and incredibly easy to watch, unlike Emma Watson (Hermione) who really is pretty awful. The moment when it becomes clear she wanted Ron to take her to the ball was unexpectedly moving, but for rest of the film I just wanted to throw things at her. Sorry. As for Daniel Radcliffe, he's obviously getting better, bless him, but he suffers from having such an entertaining 'side-kick'.
Ok, so the acting still isn't up to scratch, but I was entertained for the whole 2 1/2 hours, which is an achievement in itself, the effects were truly stunning (a major gripe with the first film) and there was space for David Tennant and Jarvis Cocker. Really, what else does a children's film need?

2 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed....

I think Ron (Rupert Grint) is just wonderful. So what if the book is butchered: books are ALWAYS butchered in film. Sometimes more effectively than others...

BTW the maze hedge scared me ridged (as it did in the book).

AnnaWaits said...

Absolutely!!