Monday, September 12, 2005

The Arcade Fire

Well, what a stunning album - strangely reminiscent of 'Promenade' era Divine Comedy and there's more and more to hear every time I listen to it. Truly an amazing new band - I'm just annoyed they're not going to tour 'Funeral' any more; apparently it's straight back into the studio...

They did find time to pop into the Top of the Pops studio however, and put on the most astonishing television music performance I've seen in a very very long time. Of course, I expected them to be wonderful, but it was the crowd reaction that really surprised me. Half of them had probably never heard of the Arcade Fire, but they applause at the end was absolutely huge - really nice to see. In fact, TOTP had a stupidly strong line up last night: Franz Ferdinand are one of Britain's best and best loved bands, Foo Fighters should have the title of the biggest band in the world (in a perfect world - ie no U2 - they would have), and the Arcade Fire pretty much are the best new band around. Add in a couple of the greatest TOTP performances from David Bowie and Ian Dury and the Blockheads and it all made up for an atypically good TOTP. Let's hope it continues!

3 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

If they were half as awesome as they were on Jools Holland earlier in the year, I expect that the Arcade Fire were breathtaking.

Part of me feels I really should get into watching TOTP regularly again now they combine both old and new...

So glad you liked Arcade Fire - though I suspected your good taste would win through! - and yes, you are right about the Divine Comedy circa Promenade. "Funeral": undoubtedly one of my favourite things of 2005.

Anonymous said...

Well, I've enjoyed the Divine Comedy I've finally found very much.

And I shall be seeing both the Foo Fighters and U2 (and Weezer) before the year is out. Be jealous.

and I loved the fringe. Thanks for the pic.

-bib

Anonymous said...

I bought Arcade Fire's first ep in Montreal the other week - remastered and re-released. More bliss.