Thursday, August 04, 2005

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I've read on several occasions, that if you're looking for a singular, Pirates of the Caribbean-esque performance from Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, then you're looking in the wrong place.

What? Were we watching the same film? That was one of the oddest performances I've ever come across, and a fabulous one at that. But then, that's just what we've come to expect from Depp, especially when he's teamed up with Burton (more often than not, happily for us). In true hack style, I shall do a "crossed with" comparison - Depp's Willy Wonka is like Ed Wood crossed with Rufus Wainwright. No come back! I don't have a bet with myself that I can crow bar Rufus into every blog, it's the honest truth. I was just thinking how Rufus-like Depp's mannerisms were when my mum leaned over to me and said the exact same thing! Go figure. And then there's a naivety and silliness to the character which reminded me of one of Depp's other fine performances - Ed Wood. Whenever Depp was on the screen, I had a huge, astonished grin on my face. We always applaud innovation and invention in music, we should applaud it in acting.

To be fair, he had a lot to work with, as the script was wickedly funny - but, thank goodness, not in a way which would exclude all the viewers under ten. [rant] That trend in family films is starting to annoy me, because we know it doesn't have to be that way. Shrek could learn a lot from Woody and Buzz. [/rant] And, as with all Burton films, it was treat to look at - his background in design and animation is a great asset. This isn't a perfect film, (a little too 'talky' for the first twenty minutes, for example - film means we can be shown instead of told, guys!) but as is so often the case, Depp has made a very good film great.

Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands are two of the best films of the nineties -long may the collaboration continue, I'm already looking forward to Corpse Bride... well, you can't go wrong with a title like that, can you?!

5 comments:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Not sure what I love most about this post: your ranting, your praise for Burton (who i still think is pretty much a genius, despite a couple of more recent under-par movies), or your not-so-shoe-horning in of Rufus to the equation! But on that note, phew, glad it ain't just me thinks that about Depp's performance!

AnnaWaits said...

You mean you noted the Rufus characterisitics too? Cool :) I have ticket sofr his December tour by the way.... :D

AnnaWaits said...

Close enough to be understood.... ;)

Anonymous said...

I like the Rufus comparison. I'll join you in praise for the man. Glad you enjoyed the flick. Thought you would.

Edward Scissorhands is the most magical, wonderful movie ever made. I will forever stand by that claim. (Yes, it's better than Labyrinth.)
-blu

AnnaWaits said...

Not sure about *that* ;) Yeah, it's one-in-a-million that one.