Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mercury Music Prize 2005

Bloc Party – 'Silent Alarm'
Hard-Fi –'Stars Of CCTV'
Kaiser Chiefs – 'Employment'
MIA – 'Arular'
The Magic Numbers – 'The Magic Numbers'
Coldplay – 'X&Y'
The Go! Team – 'Thunder, Lightning Strike'
Antony And The Johnsons – 'I Am A Bird Now'
KT Tunstall – 'Eye To The Telescope'
Maximo Park – 'A Certain Trigger'
Seth Lakeman – 'Kitty Jay'
Polar Bear – 'Held On The Tips Of Fingers'
(nme.com)

So we have the big hitters - Coldplay (yawn...) and Kaiser Chiefs (bookies favourite, and worth it...).

The breaking-through-ers - Maximo Park (quite dull...), Bloc Party (words can't describe my dislike for this band...), Hard-Fi (see Bloc Party), The Go! Team (lots of fun) and KT Tunstall (promising on Jools, disappointing since).

The hyped-to-the-hilt-ers - Magic Numbers (gorgeous) and MIA (probably better than I give her credit for).

The token-other-genres-ers - Seth Lakeman (who knows) and Polar Bear (ditto).

....and the dark horse, in my opinion, Antony and the Johnsons. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I've a little feeling they've got a chance. The favourites Franz Ferdinand won last year, which may prove unlucky for the Kaisers. It'd be a shame, because Employment's a surprisingly strong album. But song-writerly values are big this year, which hint towards Antony, and, actually maybe more probable, the Magic Numbers. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what I've heard of Bloc Party. Good drumming from what I can tell.

Just thought I'd pop by and say hello. I didn't know I could comment, so I'll try to stop by more often.

--bLuTo

AnnaWaits said...

BLUTO! Woo, thanks for reading man :)

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you care so little for Bloc Party. Their live performances need some polishing, but Silent Alarm is a great album- truly a great beginning. They even have some slick live tunes from Austin, TX at SXSW this year.